fedora 9 + kde 4 questions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 14 20:06:07 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Mike C <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michal Janda <diskuse <at> jndm.net> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,I have few question which will make my live with F 9 and KDE 4 better1.
>> on GDM login screen, how should I set KDE session as default one? It still moves
>>
>> Make a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop containing the following two lines:
>> DESKTOP="KDE"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>>
>> Restart X abd then the new login manager will become effective, or reboot.
>>
>> When you login it will be via kdm as the login manager and kde as desktop
>> At the login prompt you will be able to select a gnome session if you wish.
>
> It can't possible still be necessary to use textfile manipulation to
> get KDE by default

The login manager retains the settings if you switch your desktop
environment. You can also use switchdesk which is a command line tool
but has a gui too.

#yum search switchdesk

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit

switchdesk.noarch : A desktop environment switcher for GNOME, KDE and
                   : AnotherLevel.
switchdesk-gui.noarch : A graphical interface for the Desktop Switcher.

Rahul