top for hard disk usage

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 15 03:52:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 09:10 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> top doesn't seem to show the culprit since it mustn't use enough CPU.

You can use the < and > keys (litterally, the less-than and
greater-than, I'm not typing something to represent the cursor keys), to
change which column "top" sorts by.  That can help find some tasks that
aren't CPU hungry.  Using the z and x options helps to show which is the
current sort item, as well.

My guess would be updated or slocate indexing your drive, or one of the
other file indexing tools (tracker, beagle, etc.).

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.