Fedora 9 Everything Spin released

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri May 16 16:36:10 UTC 2008

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Fedora Unity is proud to announce the release of the Fedora 9 Everything
> Spin!
>
> Go to http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins to get the bits!
>
> The Everything Spin includes everything available at the time of the
> release of Fedora 9. It is the same, really, it is. Just more. Way, way
> more! And the more Fedora, the better!
>
> The i386 as well as x86_64 Fedora 9 Everything Spin is rather large, yet
> sized a fashionable 4 DVD's. You can imagine carrying those around as
> your complete, instant, bootable and installable mirror of everything
> Fedora has to offer -at the moment Fedora 9 was released. Of course you
> could just use a USB Harddrive, or even USB thumbdrive (16GB), but that
> wouldn't make the Everything Spin any more fun now would it?

Haven't had a chance to look at this, but is this still based on old
single layer DVD sizing? While not all old DVD burners will burn D/L
DVD, based on a sample size of 12 old burners and players, they all seem
to read D/L just fine.

And Blu-ray won the HD battle, Linux supports using the burners, how
about a real everything on a single media release?

Is this really "everything" or will we have to go to repositories in
free countries for working media players and best encryption?

> Fedora Unity normally includes a CD version "for those of us that do not
> have DVD drives", as we use to say in our Re-Spin release announcements,
> but not this time;
>
> This time Fedora Unity includes a 23 (!) CD version of the Everything
> Spin, *just for kicks* ;-) With Fedora 8, the Everything Spin was just
> 19 CDs, so there's 4 discs of extra, new, shiny software! You can see
> how this looks when you're installing from it, here[1].
>
> I'd like to see these discs piled up at every booth showing off the
> enormous amount of available Free and Open Source Software :P

The last SLS Linux distribution was on 55 floppies, maybe... no, guess
not! ;-)

> Undoubtfully, some people will give away the CD version of the
> Everything Spin as a birthday present. Also, it reminds people why it is
> they need to upgrade their CD-ROM to DVD players ;-)

Sadly the rest of the family went to ubuntu to get their various
peripherals working. No CDs in their stocking this Christmas.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>