KDE 4...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 16 07:12:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 12:56 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > Michal Janda <diskuse <at> jndm.net> writes:
> >> I have feeling that Fedora do not care about KDE users
> >
> > We do care, that's why we offer you the latest and greatest KDE. There are some
> > great things in KDE 4.0 already and there will be more great things (and less
> > breakage) in KDE 4.1, which we're planning to push as an update once it is
> > released. (I really hope this will work out, it will be a big improvement.)
> >

> Do you get the feeling that Fedora might include the
> obviously-not-ready KDE as a way to kill it?  I can't see anybody
> choosing to use KDE now if they did not use it before.  On the other
> hand, I switched from Gnome to KDE 3.5 about 6 months ago, and liked
> it pretty well. Learned to use dcop and get some nice background
> effects.
>
> When KDE 4 came out, I installed it and most of the stuff I really
> liked about KDE was gone, and could not get any advice on the kde
> mailing lists about how to find the features I wanted.  The KDE
> website had no documentation for version 4, especially when you wanted
> to do something other than find a way to open a panel or a clock.
> Nobody knew how to access dbus to run commands to change the
> background or stuff like that.  The common answer was "KDE 4 is not
> ready yet.."
>
> Maybe Fedora is administering tough love to KDE.
>
> Or, if the Fedora team really does prefer Gnome (and there are
> historical reasons why they ought to), they are giving the KDE group
> "enough rope to hang themselves".

I think that Fedora may be giving KDE more loving attention now that
Mono is potentially on the legal ropes, which Gnome uses/doesn't use/may
use ...it's confusing to me. There's been some controversy over Mono and
ties to the Evil Empire. KDE might be the answer to that problem, if we
need to get rid of Mono completely with short notice and it is found to
have tainted Gnome. Even Beagle got mentioned.

http://www.linux.com/feature/21338

Interesting read, and it's about the most unbiased I've found. OTOH,
there are some sites really raising hell ...FUD? I dunno. I'm not a
legal expert nor am I tuned into the "inner-sanctums" of how it all
works. Just google on "gnome mono microsoft" if you really want to see
some raves on the topic. But, none have mentioned KDE as possibly
"tainted", so there is that! :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar