Fedora 9 install troubles - big

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat May 17 03:07:53 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 10:21 +0200, Wim wrote:
>> Hi Ricky and Ric,
>>
>> The problem is that GRUB just hangs and I can't even get into Runlevel 3 fedora boot, let alone set GRUB parameters or other parameters :(.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe that Fedora couldn't handle 8 gigs of RAM.
>>

> There were several posts awhile back having problems with 4 gigs. You're
> dual booting and have no problems with Windows?? Ric

Typical grub problems won't have anything to do with memory, grub needs very
little ram so it is very doubtful it is trying to use anything but the very tiny
bit of the low memory.

I have seen lots of machines hang because of too much ram, it has never been in
grub, and it has always been much later in the boot process when it did hang,
and I have on previous kernels ran machines up to 64G.

How grub hangs should give you some idea of what the failure is, generally this
means that something about the hard disk setup is not correct, or something more
basic like a bios issue.

Check out a grub debugging page and see what it means that only "grub" is
showing on the screen.

You should also be able to boot with the DVD and let that boot into the already
installed system to at least look around.

Reinstalling with the exact same process is likely to not be useful.

Did you use a small /boot partition?

                        Roger