Microphones not working

David Hough fedora at llondel.org
Sun May 18 09:26:55 UTC 2008

I'm trying to set up a laptop with a VoIP softphone (I've tried both
Zoiper and Skype) and it's proving impossible to get it to work with
microphones. As I can't get my desktop to work properly with microphones
either, I'm assuming it's software-related.

So, a brief summary: Fedora 8 with KDE, default sound setup (i.e.
pulseaudio/alsa) various different soundcards including a USB one that I
know works just fine on a Windows machine. The system recognises the USB
input port (based on syslog entries) and is happy to assign it as input
to the application but no sound gets in. Playback is fine.

I suspect it could be related to permissions in /dev but I tried chmod
666 on /dev/dsp* and it still didn't want to play. Any clues as to what
to look for next?

As an aside, I remember trying to get Audacity to take sound input on my
desktop and that didn't work either.

Dave