Microphones not working

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun May 18 11:54:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:26:55 +0100
David Hough <fedora at llondel.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a laptop with a VoIP softphone (I've tried both
> Zoiper and Skype) and it's proving impossible to get it to work with
> microphones.

Not much help, but I just tried the simple "sound recorder" app
from the "Sound and Video" menu and it seemed to kinda work:

I first ran the pulseaudio volume control and selected the USB
mic on my webcam as the default audio input device (the mic input
on my motherboard has never worked very well).

I then clicked record in the sound recorder app and it gave me
an error beep and didn't start recording. I clicked it again,
and got same error. I clicked it one more time and it started
recording, and was able to playback the noises I made while
recording.

I think maybe pulseaudio has an "I tell you three times" mode
or something :-).