FC9 - sounds of silence

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun May 18 17:04:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 08:51:30 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I did an upgrade from FC9beta to the release version, and everything
> worked fine until I tried to play a clip from CNN. Then I tried youtube,
> mlb.com, no sound anywhere, even though sound had been working. Appears
> that pulseaudio has decided to take over sound and not let me use it.
>
> Finally backed up and did and install from cold, sound worked, did the
> updates from the fedora and updates repositories, sound worked but no
> flash, added flash from the adobe site, clips play as silent movies.
>
> Looked for the pulseaudio docs, and decided people haven't improved them
> since FC6, no hint of what to change, tons of other "no sound" posts on
> various places.
>
> Many other problems, reinstalled FC8, all working again. And I briefly
> had ubuntu on the machine and that worked, so the issues seem to be with
> the FC9 release, no just Linux on this hardware.
>
> My feeling is that if I wanted an OS which insisted on doing things the
> way the developer wanted, with docs which didn't cover the basics and
> had only examples of the most complex cases rather than the things 90%
> of users would want, I would be running Windows.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

I'm having very similar issues, and I couldn't agree more with what you
said. It seems there's a trend to bury and hide from the user
configuration details, trying to be smarter than I want it to be (like the
other OS). If it works fine otherwise you're screwed. This seems to be the
case with networking (NM), and now with X and sound too. I don't even know
where to look to diagnose things. But, hey, soon you'll be able to boot
off your camera's memory card.