Build Nvidia driver for Fedora 9, AMD?

Mauriat M mirandam at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:16:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:

> nVidia users do -not- have an option: Either be limited by nVidia's
> choice of supported kernel and user-mode features (CONFIG_4KSTACKS
> anyone?) or get a partially working 2D only OSS driver.

Outside of the whole "kernel-drivers-should-be-open-and-GPL-etc-etc"
argument, I don't find much fault in Nvidia.
As far as I've played around with them on many different kernel
flavors/distributions, I've found it wasn't too much trouble nor did
it drastically limit the kernel choices I've used in the past 7 years
or so.

> Having said all that, the choice is ours to make. I for one, plan on
> slowly phasing out the large fleet of nVidia cards that I have under my
> command and replace them with ATI/AMD cards - not because nVidia's
> drivers are bad (quite on the contrary) but because I rather pay twice
> for the same performance and not be limited by the manufacturer's (-any-
> manufacturer's) choice of what/when to support my hardware.

So presently do ATI cards work with Xorg 1.4.999999.whatever ?

What about manufacturer limitations? High-end laptops give you only
the choice of low-perf Intel video cards or high-perf Nvidia. (At
least I had the problem with my Thinkpad).

I'm not defending Nvidia, had Xorg release schedule been slightly
different, I doubt there would be so much noise.

-Mauriat