Using Gparted

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 19 16:18:10 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> /home has nothing in it , other than the empty folders made by the install.
> I was using Gparted from a boot CD.
> The 1 gb I want to grow into  / is labeled "unallocated" space.
> How do I use the "grow feature"  in Gparted to grow  /  by one more 1gb

To use the grow feature, the free space has to be directly after the
partition you want to add it to. In your case, the free space is
after the /home partition. So you have to move that partition to put
the free space between / and /home. But if I remember right, the
move function starts at the beginning of the partition, so you can
not move /home without shrinking it more because the destination
would overlap the end source. But that should not be a problem right
now, because /home is mostly empty. You should have no problem
shrinking it more so that you have enough space to move it. (I would
shrink it to less the 1gb, and then move it.

shrink /home
move it to the end of the disk.
grow / to the size you want.
move /home to right after /.
grow /home to fill the rest of the disk.

Mikkel