FC9 - S-L-O-W video

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 19 21:28:56 UTC 2008

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>>>

>>> Are you sure you haven't somehow ended up with the vesa driver now
>>> selected ?
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The
>> xorg.conf is attached.
>
> Check /var/log/Xorg.log instead to see what's REALLY loaded.

Thousands of lines of blather, telling me nothing other than it found
the sis module, recognized the chipset, and generated a bunch of
modelines using it, then found a vesa driver as well. If there's a way
to tell which is being used other the xorg.conf I don't know it, but the
requested module in xorg.conf is loaded by X. It didn't find "sisfb" and
I find no mention of it in packages available, "xorg-x11-drv-sis.i386"
and "xorg-x11-drv-sisusb.i38" packages are marked installed. "fbset.i38"
and "xorg-x11-drv-fbdev.i386" packages are also installed, if that tells
you more than it does me.

I guess the point is that I would hope the install would find something
closer to what's needed, given that FC7 and FC8 were fine on this machine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>