Troubles getting F9

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon May 19 23:00:54 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 19:27:03 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
> [...]
>> 	OK, remember we were talking about two different downloads --
>> it's four now. (I plan to abandon the first two if either #3 or #4
>> works.)
>>
>> 	On my #2 machine, where I have #3 download (done with gwget), I
>> have just compared the calculated sha1sum with the 32-bit one above.
>> They match.
>>
>> 	I'll do that in a minute. Meanwhile, fwiw, machine #1 finished a
>> bittorrent download. I burned it, and checked it, with Brasero. But the
>> laptop can't boot from it, either in its own drive or in the external.
>> <sigh>
>>
>> 	OK, the external drive is now plugged directly into this machine
>> (#2 machine, which has only a read-only drive of its own)), with a
>> DVD-RW disk. I'll let K3B finish calculating its md5 sum, then try to
>> burn with that. Stay tuned.
>
> 	Fwiw, machine #2 tried to burn the gwget download with K3B; that
> failed, with the error :
>
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 1.0.4
>
> KDE Version: 3.5.9-5.fc8 Fedora
> QT Version:  3.3.8b
> Kernel:      2.6.24.7-92.fc8
> Devices
> -----------------------
> UNKNOWN DVD-E616P2 1.07 (/dev/sr0, ) [CD-ROM, DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM, CD-ROM]
> [None]
>
> LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S VS04 (/dev/sr1, ) [CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
> DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-
> RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual
> Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16,
> RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite]
> Burned media
> -----------------------
> DVD-RW Sequential
>
> Used versions
> -----------------------
> growisofs: 7.0
>
> growisofs
> -----------------------
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr1 obs=32k seek=0'
> /dev/sr1: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1352KBps.
> :-[ WRITE at LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=64h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
> :-( attempt to re-run with -dvd-compat -dvd-compat to engage DAO or apply
> full blanking procedure

You did say you were using DVD/RW media.  Make sure you blank them
before you try to write to them again.  I'm not sure if a double
"-dvd-compat" flag erases the media adequately.

> :-( write failed: Input/output error
>
> growisofs command:
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr1=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-
> the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:1748379 -dvd-compat -
> speed=2 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m
>
> 	Meanwhile, machine #1 burned the bittorrent download with K3B,
> checked it, and trumpetted success. I put it in the laptop now, and it
> didn't boot ; but I'm not sure whether that's a DVD or just a CD reader.
>
> 	So I plugged the external drive into it, and that didn't work
> either -- it didn't even seem to see it either time. I'm going to try the
> trumpetted one in #3 PC ...

Hmmmm.  You may have other problems.  You may have to toggle the
"Legacy USB" flag in your BIOS.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -