CUPS photo printing

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Mon May 19 23:34:49 UTC 2008

I'm just trying to print some photo's which I haven't done since our
total changeover to OSS, not something we get time to do on a regular
basis anyway, and I'm testing a Samsung 610ND colour laser printer and a
Canon MP750 pixma printer.

After some issues with the usb on one laptop (HP - I'd recommend staying
clear of), I finally got a couple of samples. I used photo paper one the
pixma and high quality colour copy paper in the samsung, and the quality
out of the samsung was pretty ordinary (to be expected, it is only a
business colour printer) photo wise, but not too bad. When I printed out
of the pixma though it was worse! I've seen an bjc3000 print better than
that- in fact I haven't seen that quality since the dot matrix days!

Obviously I want to fix this so I can get good quality photos out (and
yes, I did try the gutenprint to get this), but I was specifically
wondering if anyone knows what the basis for the EFI Fiery filters are?
I've worked in the print industry (DOD) as well as the tech support for
printers, and I know for a fact that Fiery have released several server
types with their software for producing photo quality on laser printers,
WINNT, linux, osx. They have also embedded their software on chips. This
is why Xerox have specifically used Fiery on the majority of their
products for this quality that it gives them, though the cost is higher.

So I'm kinda curious how they do it. They obviously use a more direct
connection to the printer itself, but they would use CUPS as the
frontend surely?

Besides info on this, I do need to get a good quality photo print out of
these printers- why else would we bother with the pixma?

Cheers guys