F9 - fstab changed automatically after update

David L. Gehrt dlg at inanity.net
Tue May 20 05:48:30 UTC 2008

> Fresh install of F9. After setting up fstab to my liking (I added the
> mountpoints for some extra storage partitions, for my external drives, for
> the optical drives and the NFS shares) I decided to run an update, since a
> window popped up to inform me that there were "security updates" available.
> After that, I noticed that fstab was reverted almost to it's original state,
> preserving only the mountpoints for the "storage partitions".
> Unfortunately, packageKit didn't show what it was doing so I don't know
> exactly what packages were updated.
> Does anybody know which apps is responsible for that behaviour and how can I
> prevent it in the future?

I think my experience was caused  by hald(8), soon to join selinux on my
personal bone yard.

Just  killing  the  daemon  had  no  positive  effect.   I  believe  the
relocation of the mount points was caused  by a typo in my fstab.  If my
guess is  correct the  error was  a harmless trailing  slash, '/',  on a
mount point.

I  prefer to  know where  my file  systems are  mounted, and  so  do the
scripts I  write. Not  in some (to  me) obscure system  directory.  This
might not be a  bad idea on some USB attached thumb  drive, but not on a
200 GB [PS]ATA  drive just being added to the system,  I prefer an error
message  to  help for  which  I  didn't  ask.  (The  disappearing  drive
happened happened at a particularly inopportune time )

Now I feel better, 8^]

dlg

> Roberto
<snip>