Troubles getting F9 : SOLVED

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Tue May 20 19:08:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:04:33 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> I've downloaded the F9 DVD twice so far (with more downloads running on
> two machines, one using gwget, one bittorrent), once with Opera and once
> with I disremember what.
[...]
> 	Either I'm doing something wrong with woeful consistency -- or
> [...] Any guesses what I could be fouling up?

	I'm now on the T30 laptop that couldn't even see my disks
yesterday -- running F9.

	The secret, with heartfelt thanks to Rick Stevens, seems to have
been one little detail I barely thought to mention. If you're using a USB
external DVD drive, make sure at every step that it's plugged directly
into the machine it's currently working with, not through any sort of
hub, switch, or what have you.

	Heeding that, I burned a fresh copy of the gwget download (which
had passed all sha1sum tests); moved the drive to the laptop; and
rebooted (making sure, of course, it was what the laptop would boot from).

	The same drive, containing the same disk, is now plugged into the
oldest PC (the ASUS) -- and is happily upgrading that.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
C5; D4; F8; P3; U7.10; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3