usb install versus live-usb install

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 20 19:17:57 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I saw the announcement that F9 supports the live-usb install.
> Apparently, (sounds like magic), the live-usb install can go onto a
> usb stick and then rpms can be upgraded on that disk without blowing
> anything up.  Since the live-usb is a compressed file system, I'm
> surprised this works.
>
> Until now, I've been installing Fedora on USB devices through the
> ordinary approach.  It only takes a bit of care with the initrd
> creation to make sure a system starts off the usb.  The system is not
> compressed into such a small space as the live-usb image, but it works
> fine.
>
> Question: does the live-usb approach have other benefits or costs I'm
> not aware of?  If I have an 80 Gig hard disk, is there any benefit to
> live-usb?
>
> The live-usb approach looks easier to maintain, one probably does not
> have to do a lot of manual adjustment to grub.conf or such.  What
> else?

If I am reading thing correctly, the live-usb setup uses a
compressed image like the live-cd does, plus a memory overlay to
hold changes/upgrades. So it would tend to let you pack more
programs on the USB memory stick, at least before you do a lot of
updates. But there may be a performance hit using the compressed
file system.

I can not see a lot of advantage, and a lot of disadvantage using it
on an 80 gb hard drive.

Mikkel