Login as root on Fedora Core 9

David L. Gehrt dlg at inanity.net
Wed May 21 02:13:10 UTC 2008

> > I previously had Fedora Core 6 and could login as root with no problems. On
> > Fedora Core 9 although I set the root password and can successfully use it
> > to get to System Administration settings, when I do the following:
>
> 1. So are you not able to login using the root password?
> 2. Can you login as any other user, and then use "su -" to become root?
> 3. Can you login as any other user at all? Or does the login fail with
> an error   message?
>
> If you need to recover your root password, boot to single user mode
> and change your root password as mentioned here
> (http://www.linuxforums.org/security/howto:_recover_root_password.html)

<snip>

This is a situation  in which I think too much is  being done to protect
us.  I have been using UNIX/linux for nearly 30 years and I almost never
login in as root, but when I do it is because a normal login followed by
an su just is either not available or won't easily work.

I intend to figure out how to defeat this (IMHO) misfeature.

A part  of the basis  of my approach  is that I am  the only user  of my
systems/network.   My  partner  has  her  own system,  and  we  have  an
agreement.  The  other part of  my approach to  security is that  I have
invested  a  LOT  of effort  in  securing  borders.   based on  long  my
experience.  If THEM get access to  your network (if any) your system is
at serious risk.  Then  if they get on your system the  game is lost.  I
believe prohibiting  local root logins  does little to  improve computer
security, and gets in the way when a root login would be of great help.

I guess I do not object to  the current login process,but I object to it
being imposed in silence.  I moved from Fedora core 3 to FC6 then F8 and
was  surprised when  the ability  to  login as  root from  a hard  wired
console.