skype repository for fedora 9

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 21 08:52:30 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 03:51:16 Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 13:31:11 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 19 May 2008 13:12, Roman Makurin wrote:
> >> Hi All!
> >>
> >> Is there any repo with skype for Fedora 9?
> >
> > Skype  is proprietary, so can't be in Fedora.  Does it have to be skype?
> > There are other possibilities.  Take a look at ekiga, for instance.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Does video work in ekiga? I haven't tried it in F9 but it's been broken
> since about F7. At the time the developers confirmed the bug and they
> figured it must be in alsa.
>
> Here's a summary of IM options that I've tried:
>
> 1) gaim: speaks a hundred protocols, but no voice, no video, not even file
> transfers.
> 2) kopete: speaks yahoo, has video, but no sound (as of F8). Go figure!
> 3) ekiga: segfaults when using video (on my hardware at least).
> 4) skype: sound ok, video should have worked (as of F8) but didn't.
>
> Anything that has both sound and video and actually works?

Don't know - I haven't used any of them for ages.  Ekiga used to be
gnome-meeting, and sound and vision both worked then.  Doubtless evolution
has brought some difficulties, but I couldn't say whether they have been
solved.

One you didn't mention is amsn.  That had video but no sound last time I used
it - but that's well over a year ago, so it may be fixed by now.

Have you read the web sites for any of these?  I would have thought that you
could get a good idea of the state of affairs from those pages.

Anne