OT:AMD Phenom motherboard for FC9

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:38:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 23:55 -0700, Mick M. wrote:
> Hi;
>   Now that F9 is out I thought I would build a new system.
> I want to use the AMD Phenom quad core cpu.
> I only upgrade hardware every few years so this is a big jump from Athlon 2500 with 512M memory.
>
> I have been researching which motherboard to get and keep running into snags.
> Newegg reviews have confused me.
> It seems that a lot of motherboards are NOT Phenom ready.
> Bad bios etc.
> How do you update the bios when it won't even post?
> Would you listers that have actually built a system and had it work right off recomend a setup?
>
> Thanks
>   Mick M
> Death before Decaf!!!

... I'm not sure it'll help, but I'm about to upgrade two Gigabyte based
Athlon64/X2's (GA-M55S-S3, GA-M56S-S3) to Phenom CPUs.
I've already updated the BIOS on both machines (using USB-disk-on-key)
and should get the CPU's next month.
According to Gigabyte, both boards should be complaint with Phenom X3
and X4 CPUs.

It seems that the main problem centers around 125w TDP Phenoms.
As long as you are getting low-end (?) 9550's and 9650's you should be
find with most AM2 boards.

However, as I said, I'm still waiting for the CPUs; I'll know better
once I get them :)

- Gilboa