BUG in Anaconda, it seems

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed May 21 13:42:57 UTC 2008

	I tried to install F9 onto an oldish ASUS, which was already
triple-booting F8, Centos5, and Ubuntu7.10 (which upgraded itself, with a
little help from me, to 8.whatever this week).

	It went happily on for hours, and was apparently installing
Tomboy (God knows why; I don't use it, and thought I had pirutted it away
long ago) -- when it hit an unhandled exception, "probably a bug."

	We progress, we really do -- but not quite far enough yet for the
likes of me. It's like this. F9 asked me to file a detailed bug report,
and that request is a welcome addition.

	What's more, it created a great long file (reminiscent of what I
see on bug buddy); it would've let me read it; it offered to try to
debug; and it also offered to put the file somewhere.

	All admirable, and I applaud the developers, and mean it. But
then we came up against one of my many limits.

	It had defaulted to remote, wanting, port, address, user name,
password, and folder name.

	No doubt that would suffice any developer, and many others. I
knew the IP of a running machine on my LAN (which I assumed it meant by
address), but had no faintest clue what port; I left that blank, hoping
the new software would find it.

	It also did not say whether it wanted the name of an existing
folder on that machine (I gave it one) -- or a name to give a new folder,
one I could remember and find.

	So it failed. Without telling me why. I retyped my password,
tried again, and got another failure.

	So I tried to get it off the default, and send the report to one
of the other OSs on the machine. (I know what partitions they're on --
and anaconda was ignoring them; the machine still offers to boot to
them.) It wouldn't let me -- not by clicking the other radio button, and
not by clicking the remote radio button to turn it off.

	So I haven't filed the bug report, can't, and won't -- afaik,
it's gone, lost in cyberspace. I can't even boot that machine to Fedora
any more. (I did try telling it to debug; but it got only as far as a
line saying it was entering debug mode, and sat there. I suppose I
should've let it sit all night.)

	I apologize for not coping better; I also want to thank and
admire the developers for getting me a lot closer to being able to. Just
a little bit more ...

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0