Live USB creation - FROM Live CD ?

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Wed May 21 15:36:37 UTC 2008

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>> If I understand correctly, I think what Valent is asking is can you
>> boot to a LiveCD and run
>> /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk /path/to/live.iso /dev/sdb1
>> in that environment, pointing /path/to/live.iso to the running LiveCD
>> itself. I was wondering the same thing but I don't think it is
>> possible quite yet.

So, where do I put the request to make that a feature of the GUI Live
USB tool that's coming in the future? Bugzilla feature request? E-mail
to Luke and Kushal?

There's nothing I hate more than downloading or finding an .iso file to
make a live USB stick when I'm sitting around with a burned piece of
media that essentially has what I need. I'd love to be able to use any
of the following to make a USB stick:

- the Live CD I am running off of
- another Live CD that I can insert
- an .iso file that I can point to
- an automatically downloaded file

It looks like the Windows tool does the last two. I hate the idea of
booting to Windows, just to use a GUI tool, and I really hope the GTK/Qt
implementations come along quickly. It is awesome to get Windows people
to try the distro out though.

Live USB sticks rock, for installation and for usage. I use it all the
time, except when I want to give someone something to take with them or
if the machine is too old to boot from USB. I have a spool of printable
CDs that I save for just such an occasion. If they have a USB stick
ready, I think the command-line scripting is not nearly as cool as
having a nice point-and-click application. It impresses potential
Windows converts, and might you from annihilating the wrong partition,
as Karsten Wade blogged about recently.