Fedora 9 unable to boot after install

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 22 12:20:12 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 05:35:49 Ed Smith wrote:
> I was running an FC5 system that I attempted an upgrade to Fedora 9 on.
> When I ran into library problems after booting the upgrade, I decided to
> do a clean reinstall.
>
> During the reinstall, Anaconda detected my SATA hard drives correctly-
> sda (Maxtor), which had the previous OS, and an additional internal SATA
> drive (WD), sbd. I installed on sda, the installation completed without
> errors, but Fedora will not boot.
>
> I get as far as starting udev, which returns OK, and then drive all
> activity stops and the screen goes blank. There's no indication of what
> the error may be.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions about what to do to find the problem and
> resolve it. I read an earlier post about drives not being correctly
> listed in grub.conf, so I think I'll start by booting to a rescue disk
> and checking out the file.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

As I'm sure you know, the problem is in whatever follows udev.  Looking
quickly through my log files I can't see 'starting udev' or its completed
entry.  Assuming that processes start in the order defined
in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ the only things I've got starting after haldaemon (I
presume that's the one that gives 'Starting udev') are anacron, local, smartd
and webmin.  Does checking that directory help at all?

Anne