How secure is Preupgrade? Answer: Not.

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Thu May 22 16:06:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 02:54:50 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
	[....]
> If you choose to upgrade with Yum it should be possible to tell Yum to
> use the packages that Preupgrade downloaded. The security will then be
> the same as in any yum update command. Just be sure to delete the
> unchecked boot images so you don't accidentally boot them.

	The DVD that hit the anaconda bug is the same one that installed
F9 perfectly well on the Thinkpad; if it hits it again, at this point I
have two or three more ISOs, waiting to be used if need be, or scrubbed.

	I think I'll start with the testbed machine again, after first
unmounting the damaged Fedora partition, deleting (it and) the CentOS one
(which can't handle the new monitor I had to buy to replace one that died
suddenly), expanding (Fedora Broken's partition and) Ubuntu's, and then
try again to install from the same DVD. If it fails, I'll burn another
from a different download.

	Then on to machine #2, which now has F8 and only F8 installed.

	I ran PreUpgrade on it, but spotted Bj"orn Persson's warning in
time, and have not let it reboot. Do I need to get rid of it in some way
before I do an upgrade from DVD? Or will anaconda take care of it? (At
worst, I can do a fresh install -- or even DBAN the whole machine and
then do one -- and re-clone everything from machine #1 again; but that's
tedious, in addition to containing an array of gotchas ...)

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
C5; F8; P3; U8.04; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3