How secure is Preupgrade? Answer: Not.

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Thu May 22 19:32:14 UTC 2008

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
> 	I ran PreUpgrade on it, but spotted Bj"orn Persson's warning in
> time, and have not let it reboot. Do I need to get rid of it in some way
> before I do an upgrade from DVD? Or will anaconda take care of it?

Just delete the files, as you have them on the DVD anyway – at least most of
them.

rm -rf /boot/upgrade /var/cache/yum/anaconda-upgrade

Be careful with that command! A typo could make it delete vital parts of your
system instead.

When you've done that, the security risk is gone (unless Preupgrade has put
something in a third directory that I haven't found).

There's also a new choice in the boot menu, but it's harmless when you've
deleted the files. Anaconda will probably blow it away, but if you still see
it after you upgrade from the DVD, then you may want to remove it by hand.

Björn Persson