Live USB creation - FROM Live CD ?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri May 23 02:08:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Marland V. Pittman
<marland at mvpittman.com> wrote:
> So, where do I put the request to make that a feature of the GUI Live USB
> tool that's coming in the future? Bugzilla feature request? E-mail to Luke
> and Kushal?

Bugzilla would be my guess. You might catch the attention of someone
who has the skills and thinks it is a good idea.

> There's nothing I hate more than downloading or finding an .iso file to make
> a live USB stick when I'm sitting around with a burned piece of media that
> essentially has what I need. I'd love to be able to use any of the following
> to make a USB stick:
>
> - the Live CD I am running off of
> - another Live CD that I can insert
> - an .iso file that I can point to
> - an automatically downloaded file
>
> It looks like the Windows tool does the last two. I hate the idea of booting
> to Windows, just to use a GUI tool, and I really hope the GTK/Qt
> implementations come along quickly. It is awesome to get Windows people to
> try the distro out though.
>
> Live USB sticks rock, for installation and for usage. I use it all the time,
> except when I want to give someone something to take with them or if the
> machine is too old to boot from USB. I have a spool of printable CDs that I
> save for just such an occasion. If they have a USB stick ready, I think the
> command-line scripting is not nearly as cool as having a nice
> point-and-click application. It impresses potential Windows converts, and
> might you from annihilating the wrong partition, as Karsten Wade blogged
> about recently.

I agree completely. I think there should be a "Make LiveUSB stick"
desktop icon that does this right beside the one that allows you to
install the LiveCD to disk.

I thought there used to be a way to force the LiveCD to load into RAM?
In that way, if you had enough memory, you could rip the LiveCD back
to into ISO with dd and use that. It would require a good chunk of RAM
but a lot of machines have 2 GB these days. Not ideal though and still
definitely error-prone as dd can really ruin your day.

/Mike