[update] Re: fedora on virtualbox

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri May 23 22:08:38 UTC 2008

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've spent 7 hours so far trying to install fc4/fc6/centos5 onto
> virtualbox on two different machines and in every case the host freezes
> and requires a hard reset.  On the laptop it actually powers off when it
> hits whatever the problem is.
>
> I've no problem installing (gag me) XP.
>
> Has anybody had any success installing fedora or centos onto virtualbox?
>
> If it's not doable I'd like to know so I can look for a different
> solution.  If it is doable I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks to Patrick, Rick and Chatonda.

I was able to perform a *text* based install from an old set of fc4 cds.
  It took two attempts, with the first freezing up again.

I'll have to look a little deeper but I think it may be related to apm
or screensaver jumping in front.  The clue was that the freeze up,
though not always in the same exact place in the install, was always
very nearly after the same amount of time without touching the keyboard.

Now to install something a little more current...

Mike Wright :m)