mplayerplug-in and trailers at Apple.com

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri May 23 21:27:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:22:50PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:18 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Not an answer to your question, rather a follow-up: mplayerplug-in
> > > appears not to exist for Fedora 9, at least not in the usual repos. I've
> > > been unable to view trailers at apple.com since installing F9.
> >
> > Have you tried gecko-mediaplayer?
>
> Yes.
>
> To be frank, I suspect that my real problem is I have *too many* plugins
> and they're probably clashing with each other (even though some are
> currently disabled). This is basically a result of a lack of clear
> guidelines as to what is a recommended setup, plus that fact that so
> many of the various tools (xine, mplayer, vlc etc.) have overlapping
> funcionality. Sometimes freedom of choice is a pain in the neck :-)
>
> I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
>
> I'm happy to be proved wrong ...

I've encountered this same phenomenon at apple.com/trailers just this
week. The ones that fail appear to go off-site to the movie's own site.
My guess is they've got some test explicitly for the quicktime player,
as distinct from merely checking if you can play quicktime media. (I
don't know enough of web programming to know how one would do that, so
I may be all wet.)

Haven't yet tried to see if I can make them work with vlc.

Fred

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996