Fedora 9 disk full problem

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Sat May 24 21:45:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 24 May 2008, f f wrote:

> du said I have ~30gb in /var/log/httpd. now that was could have been
> some log file... the problem is that i only installed the system
> yesterday and just started apache for like 2-3 hours. anyway

It sounds like you have some apache configuration fault that is resulting
in out of control logging. I suggest you examine the logs and work out
what the root cause is.

> all ok for 1-2 hours, now again disk full, but du says its ok

du adds up the sizes of the files it can see. If you have deleted files
that a process has open, they still take up space until that process is
ended, but du won't see them. Probably it is also worth forcing an fsck of
the file system, just to be on the safe side in case the problem is due to
disk corruption (though this is probably unlikely).

 	Michael Young