F9: evolution mail with URL

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Tue May 27 21:04:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> John Horne wrote:

>> > Not sure what you mean by 'underneath'. How would I tell?
>>
>> Try minimizing Evolution and see if the web page is displayed.  If so,
>> then Firefox was open, but its screen was "under" the Evolution screen.
>>
> Ah, I've got you. Okay, yes the web page is underneath Evolution.
> However, if I have no browsers open, and click on a URL in a message,
> then firefox is on top of Evolution. If I click on the URL again, the
> second (or more) browsers are underneath Evolution. So the first browser
> appears on 'top', but all others are underneath. I'm not sure if it is
> possible to tell firefox to always be on top, but even if it is is it
> something that would always be wanted? (Probably yes, if you click on a
> url then it is no doubt to see the web page?)

I don't think that this is a Firefox/Evolution problem.  I *think*
this is a KDE feature designed to stop applications from stealing
focus.  e.g. you're busy working away in one window and another window
wants focus.  You'd get mighty irritated if that new (or existing)
window stole the focus and you ended up typing in the new window.
This is also potentially dangerous too.

You could prove this by, say, adding a "sleep 5" as the second line of
the firefox startup script.  Then there would be 5 seconds between the
click and Firefox trying to steal focus.  KDE should allow that.  If
Firefox gets the focus then you can look for a config that would
change this behaviour (and obviously remove the 5 second delay)