what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 14:19:35 UTC 2008

From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Sunday, 2008, May 25 13:55

> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 12:18 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> > I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic
>> > partition labels upon install, with no other option. How many people
>> > run several unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they
>> > should be given the option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of
>> > us have pretty labels by default.
>>
>> The problem has little to do with running other systems.  Even on the
>> same fedora install, the device names are not guaranteed to remain
>> constant.  So either a label or uuid is the safe way to refer to the
>> partition in fstab.  For the installer, uuid is better, since the
>> labels it writes are not really all that unique (LABEL=/ comes up a
>> lot :).
> But how do oyu find the correct UUID label?

Relabel them from this typically broken overkill solution. Keeping
the UUID is probably a fairly good idea. I'd keep it at one such
per disk. I'd follow the UUID with the drive's mount point, perhaps
with a mnemonic for the particular install for which the mountpoint
is valid ahead of the mountpoint.

<UUID>FC8-1/    Would be install 1 of FD8 mounted as "/".

And so fourth.

(Of course, you could earn a room without a view at one of the local
funny farms if you tried to actually understand and use the Microsoft
way. I'm scared at how close I am to understanding it. {^_-})

{^_^}   Let's carry this unique ID craze over to directory labels.
        Imagine a system invader trying to find your home directory.
        {O,o}