Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Robert Cahn robertscahn at gmail.com
Thu May 29 19:01:58 UTC 2008

I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7.  My
wireless is described by:

00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
(rev 01)
    Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter
    Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
    Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci

Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.

The I'm using plain old WEP on the access point.  When I attempt to connect
the first NM pip turns green immediately but the second pip never does.
Eventually I'm asked for the WEP key.  Entering it again does no good.  I've
used system-config-network to statically enter the WEP key and specify the
SSID.  Nothing works.  I've never been able to connect under F9.

I notice that I'm never asked to unlock the keyring as I was under F5 and
F7.  Are there any other suggestions as to what I can try?

/Bob Cahn