More Qlogic driver madness.

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Thu May 29 23:09:38 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> This is really getting silly.  How is it possible that an initrd will
> not USE the firmware included with it to allow me to initialize my
> Qlogic FC card?  I've built my own, I've read everything I can about
> initrd and initramfs and I'm still stuck.  Are there tools included
> with Fedora that let me edit/muck initramfs settings?  Or do I have to
> roll my own?
>
> I just don't get it, between FC6 2.6.20 and 2.6.22 kernels in FC6 this
> capability was broken and no one's complained?  I'm really very
> tempted to file a bug report on this for F8 and hope it gets fixed
> that way, since I'm unable to find an answer.

Mark,

Try something like,

1. Add your qlogic entries to your /etc/modprobe.conf (so that step 3
below will include and load the drivers)

2. Backup your current initrd image

    mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img-OLD

3. Create a new initrd

    mkinitrd  -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

If the card has a newer firmware version than the driver, it should not
use the driver version - normally.

Question: Why the need to build your own - they are included in Fedora,
check with:

ls -la /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla*

Albert.