Fedora 9/KDE 4 'non kde app'

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 30 05:45:03 UTC 2008

John Minson <minsonj <at> spawar.navy.mil> writes:
> On all earlier versions of Fedora/kde I was able to add a 'non kde app'
> and give it any icon I wanted . I suspect I still can but the mechanism
> obviously is different on Fedora 9/KDE 4 .
> Any quick pointers ?

Surely the right solution is that the app itself should be registering in the
menus on its own!

If the app is a Fedora package, file a bug against the package for the
missing .desktop file, which is required according to:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

If it is a third-party application, complain to wherever you got the
application from.

If it is your own application, have a look at xdg-desktop-menu, or package it
as an RPM and have a look at the packaging guidelines as quoted above.

        Kevin Kofler