F8 -> F9 horror

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:13:26 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> scm in seattle wrote:
>> I have been using F8 for a while now and simply put it was the only
>> distro that supported my laptop (fairly) well.
>>
>> Today I accepted what appeared to be 'typical' updates. The size of
>> the update concerned me slightly (500Mb) but turned to horror when
>> it finished and I rebooted.
>
> KDE4 is not in F8 updates.  So you didn't perform any sort of typical
> update.  You upgraded your install to F9.  And if you did that, you'd
> have checked the release notes to see that KDE 4 replaces KDE 3 in F9.
>
>> KDE4 should NEVER be installed over KDE without explicit permission
>> of the user. Ever. Period.
>
> It's not.  Calm down.  If you upgrade to a release that includes KDE 4
> by default, you don't get to act shocked that it has -- GASP! -- KDE
> 4.

I finally got around to installing KDE4 on one of my machines. i don't
see what all the whining is about, it has a few wrinkles, nothing that
can't be worked around in the short term. I am happy to say that, it
looks like very soon, I  will get to go home again. Thanks to all the
folks working on KDE!

Max

--
On the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

On the ninth day he farted, and it smelled like sulphur.