More Qlogic driver madness.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri May 30 11:25:19 UTC 2008

Albert Graham wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

> 1. Add your qlogic entries to your /etc/modprobe.conf (so that step 3
> below will include and load the drivers)

Done that.  Didn't fix it.

> 2. Backup your current initrd image
>
>    mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img-OLD
>
> 3. Create a new initrd
>
>    mkinitrd  -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Yep, this too, even including unpacking the existing one, adding in the
firmware in /lib/firmware, repacking and trying it that way.

> If the card has a newer firmware version than the driver, it should not
> use the driver version - normally.

This card is at least 3 years old.  It's not a new card.  This card has
been used since Fedora Core 2.

> Question: Why the need to build your own - they are included in Fedora,
> check with:
>
> ls -la /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla*

I'm not looking to build my own module.  I'm looking to build either an
initrd that works to get the firmware to load, or a kernel that won't
need initrd at all to load it.  I've put in a bug report and apparently
there are other firmware's that are exhibiting the same issues. I'm
hoping it'll be found and fixed soon.  I had a thought last night that
maybe only the x86_64 versions were bit by this. The two systems I have
with these cards are Opterons.  I'll try the i386 version on my test box
later today and see if I get the same problem.

> Albert.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support