Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat May 31 23:42:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 19:12 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Antti Aspinen wrote:
> > As of today I cannot get sound at all. PulseAudio Volume Control keeps
> > ringing saying that "connection failed: connection refused". And Phonon
> > says that PulseAudio doesn't work. All the rest of the apps say that
> > they cannot do playback at all and give various error reports.
>
> The pulseaudio sound server isn't running. check it with:
> $ ps aux |grep pul
> I get:
> davidt    2896  0.0  0.3  32956  4676 ?        Sl   May27   3:32
> /usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog
> davidt    2986  0.0  0.1   5216  1676 ?        S    May27   0:00
> /usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper

how about changing the order of the soundcard with the webcam ? Just an
edit of /etc/modprobe.conf ought to set it straight. The webcam is mono,
right? But since it is loaded first, then I would think that it is the
default sound device, being pointed to by such things as OSS
as /dev/snd. It's a thought, trouble shooting with a shotgun. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar