Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> If you are using the CUPS web administration, look at the "Device
> URI:" line. One should be a USB device, and one an
> ippd://<address>/631/<something> - the ipp:// one should be the
> default on all but the machine with the printer attached.

Dear Mikkel,

Are you suggesting one should use the ipp:// URI rather than http:// ?
I always use the http one, on the grounds that I've heard of http .
Is there really any difference?
I assume one is not really using http, just the protocol.

It's a pity CUPS gives an inordinately long URI for USB printers.