I want to be able to send email from my home computer to the outside
world. I want to do that from a script, when certain events happen, so I
can't use graphical clients like evolution. I have to use mail with
sendmail or a replacement as postfix or qmail. Since sendmail comes by
default with fedora, I thought I'd start with that.

My provider is verizon fios, and I do not have a static IP (although it
only changes if I reboot the router), nor a fully qualified domain name. I
also have a dyndns account, only the free dns service though, nothing

I imagine I have to configure my sendmail to forward the email to
verizon's mail server. I got some inspiration from Evolution and from this

Besides the defaults, in sendmail.mc I have

define(`SMART_HOST', `outgoing.verizon.net')dnl

I did

echo "test" | /usr/sbin/sendmail amadeus84 verizon net

It bounced back:

The original message was received at Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:38:19 -0500
from phoenix []

<amadeus84 verizon net>
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required)

which makes sense. How do I tell sendmail to send my verizon password
along with the email?