Re: RPM Fusion repo?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RPM Fusion repo?
From: Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora. <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: 11/07/2008 12:05 AM

Tim:
I'm quite surprised that there was a "free" WMA plug-in.

Rahul Sundaram:
Why? ffmpeg supports pretty much everything, these days.

I was surprised that there was any sort of legal free codec for a
Microsoft Windows Media Audio format.  I'd expect it to be encumbered up
to the hilt.

Do not be mistaken. WMA is patented, proprietary, and closed-source. FFMPEG is not legal in the USA. Ideally you should convert any WMA over to at least MP3 and at best OGG Vorbis or FLAC.

There's nothing stopping you from using ffmpeg though. I'm just mentioning the facts.