Re: F9 installation

On 11/06/2008 01:44 PM, Germán Racca wrote:

Hi all:

I want to install Fedora 9 in a computer that already has Fedora 8,
but in a seprate place, just to have 2 different versions in one computer.
I new that in order to do it, I will have to create or resize a partition.
Well, when I run the installation DVD for Fedora 9 I get the following

Drive /dev/sda (114471 MB) (Model: ATA SAMSUNG HD120IJ)
114274 MB

LVM Volume Groups
VolGroup00 114272 LogVol00 ext3 113216 LogVol01 swap 1024

Hard Drives
/dev/sda1 ext3 196 /dev/sda2 VolGroup00 LVM PV 114275

I have tried to do a lot of thing but no success. How could I get a space
of approximately 30 GB to install another Linux, in my case Fedora 9?
I think Aldo gave you a decent answer. You are stuck with LVM, but you still should be able to set up for a dual boot. Problem 1 is /dev/sda1 is set up as your /boot partition. You will probably need to share this which means some manual editing of /boot/grub/grub.conf. Resizing of an LVM logical partition can be accomplished via the system-config-lvm graphical LVM utility. Or you can use the nonm-graphical commands, such as resize2fs and lvm.

However possibly a better way might be to use a virtual machine, such as virtual box, and install Fedora 9 in virtualbox.

Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846