[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help





--- On Fri, 11/14/08, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 yahoo com> wrote:

> From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 yahoo com>
> Subject: Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list redhat com>
> Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 5:42 PM
> --- On Fri, 11/14/08, Sam Varshavchik
> <mrsam courier-mta com> wrote:
> 
> > From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam courier-mta com>
> > Subject: Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
> > To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and
> advice for using Fedora."
> <fedora-list redhat com>
> > Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 5:23 PM
> > Antonio Olivares writes:
> > 
> > > [root localhost network-scripts]# ifconfig -a
> > > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
> > 00:0E:A6:42:59:AF            inet addr:10.154.19.210 
> > Bcast:10.154.19.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> > 
> > Your eth0 has ip 10.154.19.210
> > 
> > > [root localhost ~]# dhcpd -f
> > > Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.0.0
> > > Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
> > > All rights reserved.                           
> For
> > info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> > > Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port
> and
> > ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file    
>      
> >                                                Wrote 0
> class
> > decls to leases file.                                 
>      
> >      Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.       
>      
> >                         Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls
> to
> > leases file.                                  Wrote 0
> leases
> > to leases file.                                       
>      
> >     
> > > No subnet declaration for eth0 (10.154.19.210).
> > 
> > dhcpd is telling you, right here, what's broken.
> > 
> > > # This is a very basic subnet declaration.
> > > 
> > > subnet 10.254.239.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 {
> > >   range 10.254.239.10 10.254.239.20;          
> option
> > routers rtr-239-0-1.example.org,
> rtr-239-0-2.example.org;
> > > }                                                
>     
> >            
> > 
> > What's this? Your eth0's IP address is
> > 10.154.19.210. You need remove all subnet declarations
> in
> > dhcp.conf, and provide a subnet declaration for
> > 10.154.19.0/24
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> 
> Ok, 
> I changed the /etc/dhcpd.conf
> 
> and I get [root localhost ~]# dhcpd -f
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.0.0
> Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.                            
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Warning: subnet 10.154.19.0/27 overlaps subnet
> 10.154.19.0/24
> Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and
> ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file          
>                                                
> Wrote 0 leases to leases file.                             
>                     
> Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:42:59:af/10.154.19.0/24     
>                     
> Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:42:59:af/10.154.19.0/24     
>                     
> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> ^C
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd:                                           
> [FAILED]
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd stop
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd:                                           
> [FAILED]
> [root localhost ~]# dhcpd -f
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.0.0
> Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Warning: subnet 10.154.19.0/27 overlaps subnet
> 10.154.19.0/24
> Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and
> ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file
> Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:42:59:af/10.154.19.0/24
> Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:42:59:af/10.154.19.0/24
> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> 
> 
> but service still fails :(
> 
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd:                                           
> [FAILED]
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd stop
> [root localhost ~]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd:                                           
> [FAILED]
> 
> 
> Here's file:
> 
> [root localhost ~]# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf 
> # dhcpd.conf                            
> #                                       
> # Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
> #                                        
> 
> # option definitions common to all supported networks...
> option domain-name "example.org";                
>       
> option domain-name-servers ns1.example.org,
> ns2.example.org;
> 
> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;   
> 
> # Use this to enble / disable dynamic dns updates globally.
> #ddns-update-style none;                                   
> 
> # If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the
> local
> # network, the authoritative directive should be
> uncommented.  
> authoritative;
> 
> # Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log
> file (you also
> # have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
> log-facility local7;
> 
> # No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it
> helps the
> # DHCP server to understand the network topology.
> 
> subnet 10.154.19.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> }
> 
> # This is a very basic subnet declaration.
> 
> subnet 10.154.19.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 {
>   range 10.154.19.10 10.154.19.20;
>   option routers rtr-239-0-1.example.org,
> rtr-239-0-2.example.org;
> }
> 
> 
> Thank you for helping out!
> 
> Antonio 
> 
> 
>       
> 
> -- 


Quick question:

Simple troubleshooting steps and tips For DHCP

If things didn’t go as you excepted–for example, the dhcp server didn’t start–you should do a bit of troubleshooting. DHCP can be very frustrating to fix. Here are a few things to check:

1. Configure DHCP to only listen on a specific interface. Being explicit is always a safe bet, so you can edit /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd and define the interface to listen on. For eth0, this would look like:

# Command line options here
DHCPDARGS=eth0

eth0 is the one that gets an IP from the network, The eth1 is the one that should send the packets to the Networking switch which will give out the ips and dns and all. 

I have installed bind as well.  I am not sure if the iptables are masquerading to send the packets out? and also I am not sure if the DHCPARGS=eth0 or eth1.

Thanks,

Antonio 



      


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]