Re: Which filesystem for SSD in F10?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Which filesystem for SSD in F10?
From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder snydernet net>
Date: 11/17/2008 06:32 AM

Shortly after it's released, I'll be doing a clean install of Fedora 10 on a solid-state disk (SSD). This disk will contain all but the /home directory structure.

Is there an optimal (and F10-supported) filesystem for use on SSDs, or should I just opt for the default?

Thanks.

There are many Linux flash filesystems, but Fedora does not support any of them.

You're stuck with EXT2/3/4, XFS, ReiserFS, or JFS.

Personally, I'd take XFS and set the "noatime" mount option. XFS caches metadata and file data until it is ready to commit, in the least obtrusive way. Setting "noatime" will stop Linux from setting the access time on every file when its accessed. This will help SSD life. Remember though, it's just my personal opinion. You could get the same through EXT2/3/4. EXT4 is similar to XFS from what I've read, but it is a brand new file system. XFS has had a decade of use (not all good though, I'll admit).