Re: any drawbacks to 64-bit versus 32-bit install?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  perhaps a dumb question but i have to toss together a temporary
linux box for someone to take to a trade show, so i'm going to install
f10 preview on one of my gateway mx7120s, which has a 64-bit AMD CPU.
obviously, either a 32-bit or 64-bit install will work fine, but are
there any compelling reasons why i might want to use the "safer"
32-bit version?  i don't know of any, but i'm willing to be persuaded
one way or the other.  i have no strong opinions on the topic.

I would say "more tested" rather than "safer" here, there are some things not available in 64 bit, there are workarounds, I have never seen the "huge performance increase" with 64 bit, nor the "huge performance hit" people claim for the PAE kernel.

Other than spending a bit of time fiddling with running some 32 bit only code, I would call the differences "measurable but not noticeable." I currently run all 32 bit because I have systems which don't have 64 bit CPUs and don't want to invest time in having multiple versions of anything I don't need.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>