Need to control loading of usb-storage

My problem is:

I need to find a way to tell Linux not to load the usb-storage module
when a certain peripheral, whose signature I know, is inserted.  For
now the only way I have found is putting usb-storage in the blacklist
but this means module doesn't load when I plug my usb key or my external
hard drive so I look for something finer grained

I own a cell phones who han USB connector and  can be accessed either as
an MTP device or as a mass storage one but the latter works if, and only
if, it has an additional memory card inserted (presently I have none).
The phone prompts for the mode at coonect time b ut no matter what I
select the usb-storage loads itself, unsuccessfully tries to put the
phone in storage mode (normal behaviour since the phone has no external
memory card) and after a minute or two, gives up, unloads itself and
removes the peripheral from the list of present USB devices.  In other
words even after the usb-storage module has unloaded I cannot use the
phone in mtp mode.