HOW the "H" do you get the Mic working in FC8

FC8/KDE
I have gone into Alsamixer selected MIC, enabled, Mic 1 is selected, what else must I do to get MIC working.
In Kmix all settings are enabled for MIC .
The Mic is the most Frustrating thing to get working in the sound system.
How do you run Pulse to check Mic Settings.
The MIC is also a problem FC10, submitted messages to Fedora-test and filed bug report, no body can help.
Anyhow  back to FC 8 Mic problems.