SANE can't find device if used through VNC - F9

Hello,
I got a F9 machine that I access through VNC. If I'm at the machine, I can open SANE and scan without any problems. If I, however, do this remotely through VNC, SANE cannot find my HP scanner.
I tried the same using X11 from a Mac and it didn't work either. However, if I login as root and launch SANE, it works, if finds the scanner and scans.
Any idea how to solve this issue?
Thanks,
EJ