Fedora 10 install: Choosing additional repositories causes kernel panic

On two different systems, on an i686 laptop and in VirtualBox running on an AMD64 OpenSolaris system, I was able to perform installation successfully, only to be greeted with this message when I tried to boot my newly installed Fedora system:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

At first I thought that this was because I was using xfs for my root partition (actually logical volume), but the problem turned out to be caused by my choosing "Fedora" and "Fedora updates" as repositories in addition to the "installation repository".

Has someone used the additional repositories feature and not experienced this problem? This feature is described here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/ch-packageselection.html#sn-additional-repos