yum update on a Live USB Stick

Hi,

I transfered the  F10-i686-Live-KDE.iso  to a  2GB USB-Stick (vfat) as
described on
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-making-media.html

The stick booted well, but when I tried  make   yum update , yum crashed.
I got tons of ext3-related error messages, altough the stick has a vfat file
system.
After the crash,  I was no longer able to access the stick and dmesg,
shutdown, ...  did not work.

Is it generally impossible to make yum update on a live medium, or did
it fail due to hardware problems?

Thanks,
Daniel