RE: Network install over wireless

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 08:48 -0800, bruce wrote:
> you're asked to
> provide your ipaddress, or the dhcp server. i've never seen anything
> that
> allows you to select wire/wireless 'net connections..

When Linux starts, it is probably starting networking which establishes
a connection with a wireless router.   When it does that, if you have
DHCP enabled, the router assigns your machine an IP address.  You can
find out what the machine's address is using /sbin/iwconfig.

Alternatively, you can set up a computer to use a static IP.  When
networking starts, the router will allow you to use that address,
provided it is not already in use.

Either way, you'll have an IP address if you use a wireless connection
or a wired connection.  It makes no difference either way.

Once, a long time ago, I installed Linux on a wireless machine using
ftp.  The difficulty at that time was that I had to install ndiswrapper
first to make the wireless card work.  Nowadays, it is getting easier as
some wireless cards work straight out of the box with the kernel.

Hope this helps.