Fedora Core 9 "sound recorder" error

When I run "sound recorder" off the menu (APPS > SOUND&VID > Sound recorder), I cannot get any sound to record. I believe the problem is in alsamixer but it could be hardware or some other problem. My mic does work on a FC9 Dell laptop but I cannot get the right config for my FC9 Compaq Deskpro EN. I have checked volume levels in every place I can think of. I can open alsamixer within terminal and press F4 for capture but have no idea how to tell if Mic or Line 1 is enabled. Volume controls in alsamixer are maxed. How do I make sure mic is enabled in alsamixer? Thanks in advance for any help!